Mr Kim Hakin is a Consultant Ophthalmic & Oculoplastic Surgeon and an Ophthalmic Expert Witness, providing medicolegal advice in cases of medical negligence and personal injury.
- MB BS DO FRCS (Eng) FRCOphth
- Expert Witness Certificate (Cardiff University/Bond Solon)
- Joined Optegra Eye Hospital London in 2015
Places of study
- St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College, University of London
- Southampton Eye Hospital
- Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia.
Past professional history
- Cataract Surgery
- Eyelid and lacrimal surgery
- Cosmetic eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- Cosmetic facial injection and laser treatments
- Expert Witness (Medicolegal) Ophthalmology
- Consultant Ophthalmologist Taunton & Somerset NHS Trust 1994 – to date
- (Lead Clinician 1999-2014)
- Honorary Lecturer University of Bristol
- Educational Supervisor
Mr Hakin has active responsibility for the training of ophthalmic surgeons.
He is very committed to undertaking overseas volunteer work, working with charities such as Orbis and Surgical Eye Expeditions, travelling once or twice a year to operate and train doctors in developing countries.
He also works as an Ophthalmic Expert Witness, providing medicolegal advice in cases of medical negligence and personal injury, to organisations such as the General Medical Council, Medical Defence Union, the NHS Litigation Authority, as well as numerous solicitors and agencies.
Member of societies, bodies etc
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- European Society of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (Elected full member)
- British Oculoplastic Surgical Society
- The Expert Witness Institute
- Over 20 publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Two book chapters
- Over 20 presentations to scientific meetings
- Former Clinical Adviser to the CQC
- Advisor in Ophthalmology to Nuffield Hospitals
- Registered Expert to Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)