Joined Optegra Eye Hospital Yorkshire June 2017
Places of study:
Newcastle Upon Tyne medical school MBBS 2006
Past professional history:
After working in general medicine, surgery in the UK and emergency medicine in New Zealand, I settled in Yorkshire for specialist training in Ophthalmology and completed higher sub specialist training in Vitreoretinal surgery. I received a consultant post at St James’ University Hospital in 2016.
Retinal disease pathophysiology and treatments, Accuracy of axial length measurements for vitreoretinal surgery.
I am an Honorary senior clinical lecturer at the university of Leeds. I teach undergraduate medical students and postgraduate Ophthalmic specialty doctors in clinics, cataract surgery and specialist vitreoretinal surgery.
Fellow of the royal college of ophthalmologists, British and Eire association of Vitreoretinal surgeons, North of England Ophthalmological society, Yorkshire retinal society, British emergency eye care society, British medical association.
I have presented on various ophthalmological topics at regional and national meetings and have published a number of peer reviewed articles on topics covering retinal pathology, vitreoretinal surgery and neuro-ophthalmolgy:
- Rahman R, Kolb S, Bong CX, Stephenson J. Accuracy of user-adjusted axial length measurements with optical biometry in eyes having combined phacovitrectomy for macular-off rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2016 Jul;42(7):1009-14. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2016.04.030.
- Kolb S, Dunleavy D, Naylor S. CT retinal detachment. BMJ 2013;347:f4613 (Minerva)
- Kolb SD, Dhingra N, McKibbin MA. Retinal haemorrhage, subretinal pigment epithelial deposits and serous macular detachment in light chain deposition disease. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Sep;97(9):1218-9.
- Kolb SD, Backhouse O. Obstructive sleep apnoea prevalence in non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy: a response. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Jun;97(6):794
- Arora S, Kolb S, Goyder E, McKibbin M; Trends in the incidence of visual impairment certification secondary to diabetic retinopathy in the Leeds metropolitan area, 2005-2010.Diabet Med. 2012 Jul;29(7):e112-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2012.03619.x.