COVID-19 – We’re open & following government advice (22 Feb) with the highest safety standards. More.
Ellen La Heij
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
- North London Eye Hospital
- Standard Cataract Treatment
- Retinal Detachment
- Macular Hole
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Eyelid Conditions
- Blepharitis (Eyelid Surgery)
- Affiliate Member of (RCO) Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member Dutch Ophthalmic Society (NOG; Nederlands Oogheelkundig Gezelschap)
- Member of BEAVRS- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- Member of Club Jules Gonin – international vitreoretinal society
- Member of Dutch Vitreoretinal Study Group
- Member of ESCRS- European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member of Euretina- European Society of Retina Specialists
Practicing Ophthalmologist with 23+ years of experience in many different hospitals in the Netherlands, Belgium and UK – London, in both university- and in private settings. The above experience was mainly acquired in University Hospitals in Rotterdam, Utrecht, and Maastricht in the Netherlands.
Since 2019 working at Optegra Eye Hospital North London, dedicated to advising patients and providing the best possible care with respect to their individual situation.
DR La Heij trained and coached ophthalmology residents and fellows in VR surgery, medical retina, and cataract surgery, and in the same role she supervised residents and optometrists.
Her experience in research focusses on retinal diseases with 62 publications in peer reviewed journals .
Has presented many lectures and scientific presentations at various international congresses and symposia i.e., ARVO, Euretina, and Club Jules Gonin, with the latter being a very exclusive membership.
As head of Research, DR La Heij directed research projects and coached PhD students in their development. In this capacity she acquired the skills to stimulate and motivate individuals and how to engage in teamwork with highly skilled individuals.
As Treasurer and Board Member of the Eye Hospital Rotterdam cooperative, which consisted of 40 Ophthalmology Consultants and Anaesthetists, she acquired experience with finance and management of a large eye hospital in the Netherlands.
• 2019- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Optegra North London
• 2014-2019 Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon The Eye Hospital Rotterdam, The Netherlands
• 2012-2014; Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon Jan van Goyen Clinic (private practice) Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• 2011-2012 Full Professor / Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon at University Hospital Utrecht The Netherlands.
• 2003-2011; Associate Professor University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
• 1998-2011; Lead Specialist /Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands.
• 2018 First registration as Ophthalmologist In UK
• 2011 Full Professor in Ophthalmology University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
• 2008 First Registration as Ophthalmologist in Belgium
• 1997 First Registration as Ophthalmologist in the Netherlands
• 1997 Fellow European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBOpth)
• 1993 PhD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• 1989 Year of first medical qualification – MD in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download a free infopack
Not ready for a consultation? Learn more about our range of treatments, doctors and hospitals.Information pack
Free Virtual Consultation
It takes under a minute to book your virtual consultation with UK's top rated vision correction clinicBook Now
Call us free
We'll answer any questions you may have about treatment.
0808 163 5845
Lines open Mon-Thu: 8am-7pm, Fri: 8am - 5.30pm, Sat: 9am-4.30pm