Mr Shortt is a leading ophthalmic surgeon and an expert in the fields of cornea, cataract and refractive surgery.
- 2013 FRCOphth Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- 2009 PhD Ophthalmology University College London
- 2003 MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- 2001 MSc Physiology University College Dublin
- 2000 Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery University College Dublin
Mr Shortt is a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, an Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist at London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital, and a Wellcome Trust Fellow and Clinician-Scientist, at University College London’s Institute of Ophthalmology.
Mr Shortt’s initial medical training was at the National University of Ireland in Dublin. This was followed by a PhD in Ophthalmology at University College, London. Mr Shortt sits on the editorial boards of various professional publications and has published extensively himself. He has received numerous prizes and distinctions including the Fight for Sight prize and the Moorfields Research Medal.
- Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy
- Corneal transplants
- Corneal stem cell failure
- Corneal stem cell transplants
- Corneal infections
- Contact lens related eye problems
- Small incision cataract surgery
- Femtosecond laser cataract surgery
- Advanced/premium lens implants (toric, multifocal)
- Refractive cataract surgery
- Wavefront guided laser refractive surgery
- Implantable Contact Lens (ICL)
- Collagen Cross Linking
- Honorary Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London
- Wellcome Trust Intermediate Clinical Fellow, UCL Institute of Immunity and Transplantation
Regenerative medicine, cellular therapy, corneal transplant rejection and tolerance, stem cell-immune cell interactions.
Distinctions and achievements
Committee and peer review activities
- 2009 Fight for Sight Prize (£5,000)
- 2008 Founders Cup, Oxford Ophthalmological Congress
- 2008 Societas Ophthalmologica Europaea Prize, Royal College of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress.
- 2008 Moorfields Research Medal, Moorfields Eye Hospital London
- 2006 Dermot Pierce Prize for Research, Royal Society of Medicine Ophthalmology section.
- 2004 Royal College of Ophthalmologists Harcourt Medal for MRCOphth Part 3
- 2001 Royal College of Ophthalmologists Crombie Medal MRCOphth Part 1.
- 1999 Blake Medal in Ophthalmology St. Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin.
Dr Shortt is a editorial board member of the Cochrane Collaboration’s Eyes and Vision Group and expert advisor to the European Medicines Agency, He also serves as a reviewer for the following journals: Stem Cells IOVS, Ophthalmology, Eye, Exp Eye Research and the British Journal of Ophthalmology. He has reviewed grant applications for the Wellcome Trust, BBSRC and Fight for Sight.