Despite the temptation to see this rare sight, the radiation emitted by the sun is so powerful it may cause a solar burn of the retina…it’s just not worth the risk!
To keep your eyes safe the College of Optometrists recommends:
- Don’t look at the sun with sunglasses, they are not strong enough to protect your eyes
- Even looking through binoculars or a camera phone may cause damage
- You can buy eclipse glasses to be safe
- Or you can use a pinhole projector made from paper or card but don’t look through the pinhole!
- The safest way is to watch on television