The UK’s most trusted eye specialist group takes the lead to protect the vision of Britain.
As a nation, we’re becoming increasingly conscious about our health, with increasing numbers of us doing everything from following healthy eating plans to wearing technology to monitor our fitness. Sadly, however, this rarely stretches as far as looking after our eye health, and all too often our vision is taken for granted.
With this in mind, Optegra and Boots have teamed up to bring you the Vision of Britain report 2017. Together, we have produced a wide-ranging report that looks at all aspects of visual health, and the eye care issues everyone should be aware of.
Download your copy of the 2017 Vision of Britain report now.
What is the Vision of Britain report?
The Vision of Britain report is an essential guide to eyesight and eye health in Britain today. It is the second report of its kind and follows on from the hugely successful report launched in 2016, now considered a key piece of research into the current state of eye care in Britain.
This year the report is even bigger and packed with crucial information, including advice on how to protect your eyes, how often you should have an eye test, and the truth behind common misconceptions about eye care. To pull together these in-depth insights, we’ve carried out an independent survey to find out more about British attitudes to eye health. We’ve also consulted closely with industry experts to pull together a range of useful eye care advice.
What were the findings of the 2017 report?
The report produced some staggering findings, highlighting that many British people are putting up with poor vision when they really don’t need to. With the latest medical advances and so much expertise available, it’s time that poor vision became a thing of the past.
Key facts and figures from the report are as follows:
- Nearly one in 10 people (9%) have discovered in a routine eye test that they need glasses or treatment, when they had no idea there was a problem.
- Only 45% of adults realise an optometrist can detect problems with the retina, blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol.
- 69% of patients have put off having vision correction procedures due to a fear of surgery.
- Only a third of adults recognise that a twitching eye or sensitivity to light are signs of strained, tired eyes.
- Only a third of adults realise that their child falling behind with schoolwork could be an indication that they need an eye test.
- Almost half of adults (45%) do not realise that a child sitting close to the TV could indicate they need an eye test.
- 56% of adults said they would be willing to donate their cornea for future eye research upon their death.
Did you know?
According to GPs and Optometrists, around half of first time patients are diagnosed with some form of vision correction, whilst 12% are diagnosed with a medical eye health problem. What’s even more worrying is that 15% of patients have an eyesight problem diagnosed after it’s become too late to treat it. These figures highlight the importance of regular eye tests, to ensure that any problems are caught as early as possible.
With regards to treatment, patients often have a range of fears about eye surgery, frequently based on information that is simply not true. With advancements in technology and medicine, patients can now experience very safe surgery with minimal discomfort.
Top tips to protect your vision
According to our research with GPs and optometrists, the top five ways to protect your vision are:
- Regular eye tests
- Wearing sunglasses for UV protection
- Not smoking
- Taking proper care if using contact lenses
- Protecting your eyes with safety glasses when necessary
Signs to look out for
If you experience any of the following symptoms, it could indicate problems with your eyesight, so it’s important to have an eye test just to make sure:
- Sudden loss of vision
- Blind spot or curtain across vision
- Double vision
- Flashes and floaters
- Distorted vision
Our approach to eye care
Here at Optegra, we believe that everyone deserves the best possible eye care. We offer a wide range of treatments, from laser eye surgery
to lens replacement
, with innovative treatment methods to suit each patient’s individual needs.
To ensure that we get the best results for our patients, we offer the very best facilities and equipment in our eye hospitals, as well as world-class laser eye surgeons. Our treatment plans are tailored to each patient, and our aftercare is second to none. We know that the cost of laser eye surgery
can be off-putting, so we also offer a variety of flexible finance options to make our treatments affordable for everyone.
If you’d like to know more about eye care at Optegra, get in touch
with us – we’d love to tell you more about our passion for great vision.