COVID-19 – We’re open & following government advice (22 Feb) with the highest safety standards. More.
Dr Clare O’Donnell is a registered optometrist with over 20 years clinical and academic experience. Clare studied Optometry in Glasgow and was later awarded a PhD and an MBA at Manchester. She is Head of Eye Sciences at Optegra, and a Reader at Aston University. She retains links with The University of Manchester, where she has previously held various Academic and Management roles and is Honorary Senior Lecturer. Her research interests include the anterior ocular effects of systemic disease, intraocular lens and corneal laser vision correction surgery and the impact of dry eye. She has been Principal Investigator on various research projects and has received research funding from sources including the European Union, The College of Optometrists, NHS, University of Manchester, Technology Strategy Board, British Contact Lens Association and industry. She has supervised around 20 BSc and MSc level research projects and supervised 7 PhD students to successful completion since 2003 with all full-time students completing within 4 years. She has given invited lectures and seminars throughout Europe and North America and she has published around 80 scientific papers and educational articles and five book chapters.
Awards and distinctions
- 2005 Dallos Award (British Contact Lens Association)
- 2001 Irving Fatt Memorial Award (British Contact Lens Association)
- 1999 Children’s Eye Care Practice of the Year, UMIST Vision Centre.
- 1996 Dallos Award (British Contact Lens Association)
Selected Professional memberships/offices
- 1988-present College of Optometrists
- 1988-present Association of Optometrists
- 2016-present Lead Assessor, Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre (WOPEC)
- 2012-present Member, European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- 2010-2011 Chair Northern Optometric Society
- 1996-present Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- 2012-present Fellow, British Contact Lens Association
- 2010-2015 External Examiner, Association of British Dispensing Opticians
- 2008-2015 Member Editorial Board, Optometry in Practice (Contact lenses and Refractive Surgery)
Selected refereed publications (past 5 years)
- Ipek T, Hanga MP, Hartwig A, Wolffsohn J. Dry eye following cataract surgery: the effect of light exposure using an in -vitro model. Cont Lens Ant Eye. 2018 41 1 128-131
- Recchioni A, Hartwig A, Dermott J, Vaswani S, Bhatt J, Morris R, O’Donnell C. Early clinical outcomes after small incision lenticule extraction surgery (SMILE). Cont Lens Ant Eye. 2018 41 1 132-135.
- Beshtawi I, Akhtar R, Hillarby MC, O’Donnell C, Zhao X, Brahma A, Carley F, Derby B, Radhakrishnan H. Biomechanical Changes of collagen cross-linking on human keratoconic corneas using scanning acoustic microscopy. Curr Eye Res 2016 41, 609-15
- Hartwig A, O’Donnell C and Radhakrishnan H. Tear film and wettability of daily disposable contact lenses. Optom Pract. 2016 17, 10-17
- O’Donnell C, Subramaniam S, Radhakrishan H, Mansell C, Dermott J, Gore C, Hartwig A. Management of astigmatism during intraocular lens surgery. Optom Pract. 2015 16, 95-106
- Hartwig A, Kheterpal S, Dermott J, O’Donnell C. Laser assisted cataract surgery. Optom Pract 2014 15, 49-56
- Jinabhai A, O’Donnell C, Tromans C and Radhakrishnan H. Optical quality and visual performance with customised soft contact lenses for keratoconus. Ophthal Physiol Opt. 2014 34, 528-39
- Beshtawi IM, Akhtar R, Hillarby MC, O’Donnell C, Zhao X, Brahma A, Carley F, Derby B, Radhakrishnan H Biomechanical changes after repeated collagen cross-linking on human corneas assessed in vitro using scanning acoustic microscopy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 55, 1549-54