COVID-19 – We’re open & following government advice (22 Feb) with the highest safety standards. More.
Alex J Shortt
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
- 2000 Bachelor of Medicine
- 2001 MSc Physiology University College Dublin
- 2003 MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- 2009 PhD Ophthalmology University College London
- 2013 FRCOphth Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Bachelor of Surgery University College Dublin
- Central London Eye Hospital
- Surrey Eye Hospital
- Standard Cataract Treatment
- Corneal Disease | Transplantation
- Refractive Lens Exchange
- Refractive Cataract Surgery
- Laser Eye Surgery
- Advanced Cataract Treatment
- ReLEx SMILE
- Implantable Contact Lens
- Honorary Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust London
- Wellcome Trust Intermediate Clinical Fellow UCL Institute of Immunity and Transplantation
Mr Shortt is a leading ophthalmic surgeon and an expert in the fields of cornea, cataract and refractive surgery. He has 20 years experience of cataract and lens exchange surgery, 10 years experience of laser eye surgery and performs over 2,000 of these procedures per year.
Mr Shortt’s initial medical training was at the National University of Ireland in Dublin. This was followed by a PhD in Ophthalmology at University College, London and 10 years of specialist surgical training at Moorfields Eye Hospital London. In 2016 he left Moorfields to join Optegra as a vision correction consultant.
As well as being a highly qualified cataract, lens exchange, LASIK and LASEK surgeon, Mr Shortt is one of the UK’s most experienced ReLEx SMILE and Presbyond LASIK surgeons. He is also leading expert on the use of multifocal lens implants in patient’s having refractive lens exchange, an area of expertise in which he lectures on worldwide.
Mr Shortt sits on the editorial boards of various professional publications and has published extensively himself. He has received numerous prizes and distinctions including the Fight for Sight prize and the Moorfields Research Medal for his contributions to advancing the field of vision research.
Download a free infopack
Not ready for a consultation? Learn more about our range of treatments, doctors and hospitals.Information pack
Free Virtual Consultation
It takes under a minute to book your virtual consultation with UK's top rated vision correction clinicBook Now
Call us free
We'll answer any questions you may have about treatment.
0808 163 5845
Lines open Mon-Thu: 8am-7pm, Fri: 8am - 5.30pm, Sat: 9am-4.30pm