A thorough and effective aftercare process is essential when it comes to laser eye surgery. Think about it – if you had any other kind of surgery you wouldn’t simply get up, walk home, and never think about it again, so why should your eyes be any different?
When choosing a laser eye surgery clinic, aftercare is something you need to consider carefully. After all, getting the right care is pivotal in ensuring you get the results you are hoping for, whilst also reducing the likelihood of any irritation or complication after the treatment. Here at Optegra, we are pleased to offer thorough and comprehensive laser eye surgery aftercare for all of our patients. Read on to find out everything you need to know.Why is the aftercare process so important?
A lot of people overlook the importance of getting proper aftercare following laser eye surgery. However, it is crucial to recognise that your eyes are going to be sensitive following treatment, and you need to protect them to reduce the risk of complications. In order to ensure you get great results from your surgery, it’s important to listen to the advice of your ophthalmic surgeon.
At Optegra, we offer patients a follow-up appointment the day after surgery to check on your progress, which is a great opportunity to speak to your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. After that, you’ll have routine checks throughout the following year, and you can always contact us if you have further queries. This helps to ensure that any problems are picked up early and can be addressed as soon as possible.Aftercare advice for laser eye surgery
Here are our top tips to help ensure that your experience following laser eye surgery goes as smoothly as possible:
- Make sure you’ve got the help you need – Ask a friend or family member to pick you up from the clinic after your treatment, and let someone know if you need any help with everyday tasks in the days following your surgery.
- Avoid dusty environments – It is important to avoid dust as much as possible for at least a week after having laser eye treatment. Your eyes will be healing during this period, and if they come into contact with dirt, it may cause an infection.
- Take care when showering – You need to be extremely careful when washing your face or your hair after having laser eye surgery. Avoid taking a shower until the day after your treatment, and take care not to get soap or other products near your eyes.
- Wear sunglasses – Your eyes may feel more sensitive to light straight after you’ve had laser eye surgery, so wearing sunglasses for a few days after treatment may help you to feel more comfortable.
- Use eye drops – Antibiotic eye drops can help to prevent infections from occurring, as well as helping to counteract problems with dry eyes. At Optegra, our experienced ophthalmic surgeons will provide you with suitable eye drops to use after your laser eye treatment.
- Go on holiday –You should wait around ten days after laser eye surgery before going on holiday. This is because your eyes need time to heal, and it’s also advisable to stay close to home in case you have any concerns or need further treatment.
- Go to work – You should be able to return to work after a day or two if you’ve had LASIK or SMILE eye surgery, but you may need longer if you’ve had LASEK, depending on your circumstances and the type of role you do.
- Wear eye make-up – You should not wear any eye make-up, or any products around your eyes, for at least a week after the surgery.
- Shower – You should avoid washing your hair or taking a shower for at least a day after the treatment.
- Rub your eyes – This is especially important if you have had LASIK eye treatment, as rubbing your eyes can interfere with the flap created during the surgery.
- Smoke or be around smokers – If smoke gets into your eye, it will increase the chances of you rubbing your eyes, and it can cause real discomfort.
For more advice, take a look at our recent blog post which explains how soon you’ll be able to get back to normal after having laser eye surgery, and if you’re in any doubt then please speak to your surgeon for guidance.When to get in touch with your surgeon
Whilst most people have a hassle-free and easy recovery process after laser eye surgery, you do need to be aware of the signs that it is time to call the doctor. This includes the following:
- Discharge from your eye
- A sudden decrease in vision
Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of what to expect after laser surgery, and why it is so important to follow an effective aftercare plan.
Here at Optegra, we pride ourselves on offering comprehensive aftercare to make sure we get the very best results for each patient. We also ensure that you see the same ophthalmic surgeon from your very first consultation right through to your treatment and aftercare, so you can rest assured that your aftercare will be provided by someone who really understands your needs.
Following your surgery, we’ll make an appointment for you to come in for a check-up the very next day. If you have any concerns, there’s no need to wait for your next appointment though – just give us a call and we’ll make sure you get the support you need.