Murtuza Mookhtiar is a NHS Consultant Ophthalmologist and the Lead Clinician for Surgical Retina Services at Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- MBChB FRCOphth CCT MPH
- Consultant Ophthalmologist ,Cataract and Vitreoretinal surgeon
- Honorary Lecture University of Leeds School of Medicine
- Visiting Research Fellow University of Leeds
- Co-opted Committee member VISION 2020 (UK) Ophthalmic Public Health Group
(2012 – 2014)
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists OTG Yorkshire Representative: (2011- 2014)
Education committee and E-learning sub committee
Mr Mookhtiar spent his early years in Wales and after graduating from the University of Bristol in 2001, he gained considerable experience in Ophthalmology training at numerous hospitals in Kent and Yorkshire including working in Leeds and Bradford for the last 2 years whilst completing his specialist training in surgical retina. Mr Mookhtiar also spent 1 year training in Ophthalmic Public Health at the University of Leeds.
Mr Mookhtiar has been a consultant Ophthalmologist in Bradford and Airedale since 2014, he has a special interest in cataract surgery including an expertise in complex cataract surgery. He also has a special interest in vitreoretinal surgery and offers state-of-the-art sutureless vitrectomy surgery for a range of retinal disorders such as, macular holes, retinal detachments and diabetic retinopathy. He joined the consultant team at Optegra Eye Hospital Yorkshire in 2016.
Membership of societies, bodies etc
- Fellow of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
- Member of the British and Eire Vitreoretinal Society (BEAVRS)
- Member North Of England Ophthalmological Society
- Member Yorkshire Retinal Society
- Member of British Medical Association
Mr Mookhtiar enjoys Formula one racing fan and also playing golf. He is the trustee of a local community charity, involved in supplementary school teaching of young people (aged 5 to 16).
Mr Mookhtiar offers all his private patients a highly personalised, one-on-one consultation where you are given the opportunity to discuss your condition and the available treatment options. Most of the required scans or tests can be undertaken on-site at the time of your consultation.
Private consultations with Mr Mookhtiar are available by appointment only. To make an appointment with please see the Contact page of this website.